You’re used to seeing us online and in stores, but you have a few chances to see us IN PERSON this month. I hope you’re not disappointed to discover that we are not giant, anthropomorphic cookies. We’re just regular people trying to make a difference in the world, one cookie at a time, and we’d really love to see you. Stop by at one or both of these events to see our smiling faces and get free cookie samples! First up, we’re joining the Vegan Drinks Summer Meetup at Paper Tiger bar in Koreatown on Wednesday, August 9th. The chef at Paper Tiger is preparing a one-of-a-kind vegan tasting menu paired with whimsical signature cocktails/mocktails. And we’ll be passing out free cookies! Get tickets and more info here.
Then later that same week, we’ll be at the Summer LGBTQ Pop-Up Bazaar. Funds raised benefit the Tegan and Sara Foundation, which fights for health, economic justice and representation for LGBTQ girls and women. Maxine’s Heavenly is proud to have LGBT staff and leadership and we’re thrilled to be a part of an event that is bringing awareness to such a great cause. You may know the stats about women making less than men in the workplace, but you may not know these LGBTQ stats:
- 23% of lesbian women live in poverty
- Women of color are 3x more likely to live in poverty than white, LGB women.
- Transgender women are 4x more likely to have a household income under $10,000 and 2x as likely to be unemployed.
- One in five transgender women has reported being homeless at some point.
- LGBTQ women have higher rates of gynecological cancer, depression, obesity, suicide and tobacco/alcohol abuse.
- Discriminatory laws, provider bias, insurance exclusions and inadequate reproductive health coverage leave 29% of LGBTQ women struggling to pay for health insurance.
- Less than 1% of TV characters are lesbians. Since 2016, 25 queer female characters have been killed on-screen – continuing a decades-long trend.
So, come visit the Pop-Up, support the LGBTQ owned businesses and the work of the Tegan and Sara Foundation. The event is Saturday, August 12th from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
Get tickets and more info here.